Saturday 11 August 2018

Trip report introduction: Finding the Flying Dutchman!


Trip report introduction: Finding the Flying Dutchman!
---
01. Trip report introduction
02. BRA Fokker 50 economy class, Stockholm Bromma to Trollhättan
03. BRA Fokker 50 economy class, Trollhättan to Stockholm Bromma
---

Some of you may recall that I did a Q&A post back in June, where one question was if I had any aviation related stuff on my bucket list. I wrote that albeit not bucket list items, it would be cool to fly on more fifth freedom flights, such as Royal Brunei between Dubai and London, and also to try different types of aircraft:


"For example, it would be cool to fly on a Fokker before they disappear completely. At the moment, there are actually a couple of Fokker 50:s used on a domestic route from Stockholm, but the tickets come with a hefty price tag, so I'm still wondering if it's worth it or not."

And wouldn't you know it!?  Literally a couple of days after writing that post, I read two things on the same day. First, I read that Royal Brunei are discontinuing their Dubai-London flights. Second, I read that BRA (a Swedish regional airline) had a friends and family discount during the summer. Now, I couldn't motivate a spontaneous trip to Dubai just to fly on Royal Brunei, but I could finally take that domestic trip to try the Fokker 50 before they disappear completely! Instead of €270, with the friends and family discount the round trip ticket came at €90 (a friendly stranger provided both the information and the discount code, as he was working for BRA). One third of the full fare price was definitely justifiable, and I quickly booked the ticket. This was on a Wednesday, and the trip would be on Friday two days later.

The itinerary for this trip:
2018-06-29: TF808, Fokker 50 economy class, Stockholm to Trollhättan
2018-06-29: TF811, Fokker 50 economy class, Trollhättan to Stockholm

This trip was also a lot easier than travelling to say, Montenegro, whose national airline also operate Fokkers (F100). Instead of travelling across Europe, I could have lunch at home, then head to the airport, and still be back at home the same evening. I would also get to fly out of Stockholm Bromma for the first time. This airport is located closer to downtown Stockholm, but mainly have domestic flights (as well as flights to Helsinki and Brussels).

So, let's head to Bromma to catch the BRA flight! (I know, it's a terribly unfortunate name for an airline, but they mainly operate domestic flights, and in Swedish "bra" means good...)

No comments:

Post a Comment