Saturday 1 September 2018

Airline review: Emirates A380 economy class, Mauritius to Dubai


The inconsistency continues - my review of Emirates A380-800 economy class, Mauritius to Dubai
---
01. Trip report introduction
02. Emirates B777 economy class, Stockholm to Dubai
03. Emirates A380 economy class, Dubai to Mauritius
04. Friday Attitude Hotel, Trou d'Eau Douce
05. What Mauritius was like
06. Emirates A380 economy class, Mauritius to Dubai
07. Emirates B777 economy class, Dubai to Stockholm
---



Mauritius (MRU) to Dubai (DXB)

Date: 2018-07-15
Flight number: EK704
Aircraft: Airbus A380-800
Registration: A6-EUM
Age of aircraft: 2 years
Duration of flight: 6:06 (gate to gate)
Seat: 43J (economy class, lower deck)


Seat map of the lower deck with my seat (43J) in red. Courtesy of Seatguru.com


And once again, apologies for the dark photos. I promise, next time I review an A380, I'll make sure to stay on board long enough for it to be daylight at least some part of the flight... This review will be even shorter than the DXB-MRU leg, and the photos are fewer and worse - I'm guessing it had something to do with the World Cup final. I love France, but in this final, I rooted for Croatia, so I was a little grumpy as we boarded.


Arriving before check in had even opened, and trying to figure out where our line ("online checked-in") is going to be...


Here we go!

Once airside, with a little more than 100 minutes until boarding, we tried to find something to eat, as well as watch the World Cup final. That turned out to be a little difficult. There was one Subway, one patisserie and a few (extremely expensive) tax free stores. And there were some TV screens scattered throughout the terminal, but only one (1) showing the World Cup final. Seriously? I was definitely expecting more from Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport (MRU). After all, it had almost 4 million passengers last year.


Our bird ready and waiting at our gate


Where is everyone?


Ah - here! Only one TV showing the World Cup final though...


Air Mauritius - our other option as we looked for flights to MRU and decided on EK instead


I have no idea when boarding actually started, but I'm guessing it was fairly on time, since we pushed back one minute ahead of schedule. There was no zone boarding here at MRU though, and this airport continued to surprise me in a bad way. Emirates have always had zone boarding when I have flown with them, and most of the time, they've made sure that passengers only board when their zone is called. We were assigned zones for this flight as well, but there was no call, and people seemed to board at their own convenience.


It's time for embarquement!


Walking down the jet bridge


And settling in my seat (43J) for this flight back to DXB


Here's something that I didn't take a picture of on the previous flight...


Seat pitch


The 12-year-old in row 42 seemed to have sophisticated taste in music... (he may or may not have switched to Ariana Grande literally two seconds after I took this picture...)

Menus were handed out as we were still on the ground. For main course, we had the choice of "Mauritian chicken" or beef with peppercorn sauce. Since we had had enough of Mauritian food to last a long while, we opted for the beef. Quite tasty! The second service, a sandwich before landing, was never served. I've said it before: Emirates are a hit-and-miss airline... But there was ice cream waiting at DXB, so this blogger would soon forget about the forgotten sandwich ;)


Have you noticed that there are ingredients written all over the fruits on Emirates' menu cards? One time I spotted "coriander" among the ingredients. I had nightmares for a week... 


Mauritian chicken? I think I'll have the beef instead...


Safety demonstration video


Dinner was served about an hour after take off


Appetiser: tuna niçoise


Beef, mashed potatoes and vegetables - a good meal


An uninspiring pineapple cake - not worth the calories...

As we were having our meal, it got really turbulent. Not in a scary way (since we were on an A380), but in a way that I had to wait a while before I could eat. My hands were busy holding my glasses of water and Pepsi, as it was too bumpy to keep them on the tray table... And by the way, you read that right. I drank water and Pepsi. They didn't serve apple juice to this meal!

I didn't get much sleep on this flight either, but I used the inflight entertainment quite a lot, as the sound quality was great (as opposed to on our ARN-DXB flight some ten days earlier). During the meal service, I watched Game Night, which was hilarious. And then I browsed the music selection on this flight. After listening to some Iron Maiden, I settled on Pink Floyd and their magnificent album The Division Bell which I listened through twice. It was a great way to spend this night, and I actually caught a few Zs as well.


About halfway there!


Is this the best way to get through a night with no sleep 35.000 feet above earth or what? Quite possibly. Pink Floyd's "The Division Bell" is a brilliant album!

One day, I'll be upstairs on an A380! As you can see, there is no bar above this flight of stairs - this particular A380 actually had economy class in the front of the upper deck as well!

Thanks for this ride, A6-EUM! (I promise, she is in this picture...)

We landed a few minutes ahead of schedule, and now it was time for another four hour transit at DXB. Ugh. And this time we had a remote gate for our B777, but more on that in the next post! Overall, the A380 exceeded my expectations on both flights. Spacious, comfortable and silent. It really is a magnificent airplane, and I would love to fly on one again. Emirates are a little inconsistent though. If you get a new plane and a nice crew, you're in for a great flight. While their older planes are still good enough, they are still way worse than their newer planes. And service really is hit-and-miss with Emirates. Let's see what our final Emirates flight on this trip will be like - it's time for a B777 back to Stockholm!

No comments:

Post a Comment